The Churches Together in Saffron Walden Constitution
Churches Together in Saffron Walden comprises eight of the Christian congregations of the Town united by covenant whose representatives meet as a Council bi-monthly, for discussion and decision making, Each church is entitled to 3 Representatives usually a minister and two other members chosen by their congregations. During a Pastoral Vacancy churches should appoint a deputy.
Churches Together in Saffron Walden is funded by annual subscriptions of the member Churches.
For any additional projects not funded from Churches Together income, the individual churches involved must decide how to finance them. The Treasurer also handles all Christian Aid money.
Churches Together in Saffron Walden elect annually a Secretary and Treasurer. The Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson are elected annually for a one year term in January, with the option of serving for a second year.
In the absence of the Chairperson the Council Meeting decides who shall chair the meeting; this would normally be the Vice-Chair. The Vice-Chair usually becomes Chairperson in the following year.
The Secretary, in consultation with the Chairperson, is responsible for compiling the agenda for the council meetings. Notification of items for reports, forthcoming events should reach the Secretary 14 days before the meeting so they can be circulated. The Secretary is also responsible for keeping and circulating minutes, posters for CT events, correspondence, Welcome & Publicity leaflets, records and archives.
Other activities of ecumenical interest and news from the individual churches may be reported to the Council. The Council will seek to ensure that the events and activities of individual churches are co-ordinated and are complementary.
This constitution was approved 27th May 2011 by Carol Baker, Jonathan Burton, John Capper, Rajiv Ellalasingham, John Garrett, Murray George, David Keeble, Simon Mattholie, David Tomlinson on behalf of the Salvation Army, Gold Street Chapel, Friends, New Life, Roman Catholic, URC, Methodist, Baptist and Church of England churches.
This constitution was agreed unanimously and adopted by the Churches Together Council on 23rd June 2011.
Chair of Saffron Walden Churches Together
23rd June 2011
Amended reducing the number of churches to 8 (following resignation of New Life) & removal of waiver for Friends’ annual subscription, and updated list of activities.
Chair of Saffron Walden Churches Together
26th September 2013
Current Council Responsibilities 2018
The Council is responsible for appointing co-ordinators for ecumenical projects, and takes responsibility for ecumenical services and work.
- Christian Aid Co-ordinator,
- Schools Work and Assemblies Team Co-ordinator.
Churches Together in Saffron Walden is responsible for organising annually:
- The United Covenant Service in January and in the same week, the Agape Meal & Service,
- The Good Friday Walk of Witness
- A Pentecost Event
- Publicity for Easter and Christmas services in a local newspaper
Council may review, cancel or replace these if so desired.
Churches Together in Saffron Walden is responsible for organising: -
- Schools work in Saffron Walden and surrounding area.
- Christian Aid collections
- Welcome Leaflets
- Lent Courses
- Church Leaders Business and Prayer meetings
- Occasional open meetings
- A monthly Prayer List
- Publicity for any other Churches’ Together event
Other ecumenical services organised by individual churches or committees are:
- Advent Candlelight Service
- United Nations Service
- Remembrance Sunday Service
- Women’s World day of Prayer & Bible Society Rally
- Xite, Fuse and Engage – Youth activities
Other activities of an ecumenical interest:
- The Transition Project
- “The Well” Cafe style meeting place,
- Christmas Day lunch and party for those who would be alone
- Christmas Gifts for families in need
- Street Pastors - An inter-denominational Church response to urban problems, engaging with people on the streets to care, listen and dialogue.
- Supply of Christmas & Easter posters to the churches by agreed quantities organised by our Roman Catholic representative.
- Stort. Valley Schools Trust (SVST)
- XL Mentoring
15th September 2018